Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Give Me A Break!

I generally try to refrain from blogging about the kind of thing I am about to blog, but I am absolutely infuriated and I need to write it down.
If you read this and are offended, I apologize.
This particular blog is for everyone and no one at the same time. I would like to be able to stand up for myself regarding the matters I am about to present, but I have not been given names. So, this is me processing and explaining/standing up for myself.
Lately it seems like my parents are on my case about 2 seperate yet slightly related things. They are things that people besides me and them should have no business talking about without confronting me first.
Issue 1:
Apparently, my parents are being told the kick me out of their house because I am done with school and I'm too old to be living at home.
While my parents won't tell me who has provided this unfortunate, ill recieved advice. I happen to know who my parents friends are, and most of them have children who are 8-10 years older than me. The ones who don't married before they were 20 or are just now getting married. In my opinion people who have children falling into these categories are not qualified to give this kind of advice.
Why?
Well, it's very simple. You see, parents whose children are 8-10 years older than me, or even only 5-10 years older graduated from high school and/or college during a prosperous time in our nation. Well paying jobs were readily available and believe it or not, surviving was a little easier. I read a news article today that said that the number of people living in poverty in our nation is thought to be underestimated this year by close to 9 million due to our struggling economy. Most of the unemployed people are being forced to seek jobs considered as "under-employment" because the job qualifications are staggeringly lower that their education and experience. It is estimated that, on average, it is taking college graduates 4-6 months to find jobs that they are many times overqualified for. As for the parents of people whose children got married when they were still teenagers or recently got married. I AM NOT MARRIED, nor will I be married anytime in the next 12 months (at least I think). Being married is a different story. No married couple in their right mind would live with their parents unless they had absolutely no other option. Being married is more expensive, but some things come cheaper and you generally have 2 incomes to work with. Of my single friends who have recently moved out of their parents homes, many of them have been graduated from college for over a year and just now found a decent job and/or have saved enough money to survive.
Give me a break!
I have only been out of college and back in Washington for 5 months. I am still within that 4-6 month waiting period for "finding a job". Yes, I am temping, but I have been given a tentative hire date of October 28th at Bank of America. It is not at all what I went to school for, but it will help me to be independant. I don't want to live with my parents any more than they want me living with them. I've been on my own for 5 years and I LOVED it! I just cannot financially afford to move out. I have thousand of dollars in student loans about to come out of grace. My goal is to have my own place by January. Realisticly though it would not be unusual if it took me till next September to have enough money saved to support myself the way I need to, to move out. This is a different era. Yes, I am almost 24 and still relying greatly on my parents, but I am in a grace period.
Give me a chance to get my footing before you judge me and feed me to the wolves. I am doing the best that I can with what I have been given.
Issue 2:
If you don't like what I have to say on Facebook (or on any other blog/social networking site, etc.), DELETE ME, BLOCK ME, CONFRONT ME, WHATEVER, but please, please, please, leave my parents out of it!
I am an adult. Even though I am residing at my parents house, I am my own person. I have my own thoughts, and feelings, and behaviors. I apologize if you think I am crazy, rude, inappropriate or whatever you may think about me. What I have to say is not about you or even for you (except for right now).
Yes I am publicly posting those inner thoughts and feelings, and sometimes what I think or feel isn't always the nicest or whatever, but I say what I have to say for my benefit.
My Facebook and Myspace are private. For anyone to see what I have posted I have to accept their request or request for them to be my friend so they can see what I have to say. No employer or person or group can see my profile without my permission and even then I have the ability to limit what they can and cannot see. Since I have recently had issues with people complaining to my parents about my opinions I have blocked most people over the age of 35 from seeing my status updates and wall posts so that there are no more issues, but I really shouldn't have to do that.
It is my Constitutional, 1st Amendment right to have the FREEDOM OF SPEECH and the FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. Never once have I violated any kind of "privacy policy" when voicing what may seem to be a negative opinion in a status update. I have not given names or locations. I have simply expressed myself in a manner that, for me, helps relieve stress and allows me to process things going on in my life in a more appropriate manner than telling the stupid lady next to me that she is confusing people more than helping and making everyone else's job harder. I have never used company time to update my status and I would never post anything that could get me in trouble with the company/employees and am working for/with. If, at the end of a long day my feet hurt and are tired, it is my right to tell my Facebook friends that I had a long day at work and my feet hurt and I'm tired. I am not saying I don't like my job. I'm not speaking negatively about the job or anyone at the job I am just saying I am tired. Everyone has days like that because it's work.
Also, know that half of what I say/write in a status update is said with some hint of sarcasm. I obviously do not think that shooting myself in the foot repeatedly would be more pleasurable than spending the day with incompetant people. I am just expressing frustration with people who make my life more difficult. DON'T READ INTO IT!
Ultimately, if something I post get's me in trouble down the line with an employer or someone else. I have to deal with the consequenses. I am fully aware of this. I am, after all, AN ADULT. Thank you for your concern, but I have taken the neccessary procautions to protect myself. If the worst thing I ever do is express my positive and negative feelings on Facebook, I am far better off than most of my peers. I am so sorry if that offends you, but my voice is my most powerful tool and I will use it as I please. I do not tell you what is right or wrong to say on Facebook. If I don't like it, I ignore it. Please do the same for me. If you must express concern or question a statement, DO NOT GO TO MY PARENTS, they are not me and they have no control over what I put on Facebook. Overall, I am a genuinely kind person, but I do have thoughts and feeling that I am entitled to share on my page on facebook. You are entitled to delete me, confront me, block me, whatever. But please keep your issues with me and my thoughts between you and I.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment